NZ Adviser forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Code of conduct: what do mortgage advisers think?

Notify me of new replies via email
Ksenia Stepanova | 16 Oct 2018, 12:25 p.m. Agree 0
The education side may need to be revisited, says mortgage broker
  • Jason | 16 Oct 2018, 01:12 p.m. Agree 0
    Well said David, there are tons of very experienced advisers out there who have gone through many bouts of regulation and qualifications and are extremely skillful at what they do, this needs to be recognized
  • Dr_Jekyl | 16 Oct 2018, 02:39 p.m. Agree 0
    Indeed there needs to be an acknowledgement of industry knowledge. Doing a paper of lending structures for most brokers with more than 5 years experience would be a waste of time and expense. However, doing a paper on the regulatory environment should still be required etc.
  • Jeff R | 16 Oct 2018, 03:33 p.m. Agree 0
    Anyone in an industry that can change people lives who does not have a paper qualification to prove knowledge is trying to dodge the bullet in my opinion. No other profession is a lax as ours and it's about time it's practitioners stepped up to the mark. Well done Code committee for making Level 5 the benchmark. Not perfect but a damn sight better than what we have.
  • Noel Bowl | 16 Oct 2018, 04:55 p.m. Agree 0
    David is making very good sense that is why he is not a politician or a rule maker.

I doubt whether there is anybody in the wider industry that does not agree that there should be bench marking- minimum standards re professional qualifications. But it is ostrich mentality not to give some off set- credit- acknowledgement for someone's industry experience and knowledge- some of us that is considerable.

Certificate 5 with the various strands soon mounts up cost wise by way of $$$'s- by way of time out of the office away from the coal face for those of us in outer regions other costs to attend course that are only running in the main three centre's.

My deceased Dad used to say to me when i was a boy- "son we there is a will there is a way.........." but you know what I doubt whether there is a will and yes I am impacted with my zillion years of "hands on" and industry experience and you know what it counts for absolutely nothing- yip absolutely nothing at that annoys me BIG time..............................the journey continues!!!
Post a reply